Contracts

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Contracts

Post by Matthew »

Maxim Mamin was just loaned to the khl. Does his contract come off my books?
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Re: Contracts

Post by Bruyns »

No, still under NHL contract.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Damn.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

He's got a European assignment clause in his current deal.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

just pay someone a 5th to take three contracts.

i'll do it
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Or we could just have the ability to drop a contract like the NHL does with no penalty
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

There's some tweaks to the waiver rules that we might look into.

Being able to put a player on "unconditional waivers" leading to "terminating" the contract. Maybe put in a rule in that you can't be the first team to claim them after they've become a free agent. That way teams won't abuse this option.

The Chris Butler situation with Koomz...waive the player and they clear but you actually get a period of a few weeks (3 or 4) to send the player down if you don't want to send them down immediately. You can keep a player that has cleared waivers on your roster but if they play a certain number of games in your lineup, they lose their exempt status and they'd have to clear waivers again.

The new thing I will do next year is with the sliding contract process. You guys won't need to declare who you want to slide. You'll just need to declare which players you want to play. All players that are slide eligible will slide by default.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Lee wroteCOLONOr we could just have the ability to drop a contract like the NHL does with no penalty
I don't this is a thing... Not unless they are on a PTO or an AHL deal or if the player agrees to mutually terminate. Curious what you mean by this.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Lee wroteCOLONOr we could just have the ability to drop a contract like the NHL does with no penalty
I don't this is a thing... Not unless they are on a PTO or an AHL deal or if the player agrees to mutually terminate. Curious what you mean by this.
Jake Dotchkin
Thomas Plekanec
Yasin Ehliz
Dennis Everberg
Tyler Moy
Jeremiah Addison
Simon Bourque

All cleared unconditional waivers recently and were bought out of their contracts.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

Players agreed to it so it was a mutual termination or were in material breach of contract (Dotchin)

It's not like the NFL where you can just cut contracts.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Basically any player without a no-movement can be terminated. I don't know what the penalty is to the team. You'd have to dig through the CBA for that.

Age determines how much of a player's salary is owed by the team during a buyout. 1/3 of the contract is owed for players under 26, 2/3 of the contract is owed for 26 and older.

In the case of Plekanec, his contract terminated following retirement. I think Burrows was bought out and then retired.

We probably can come up with some kind of buyout/termination system. Since we don't deal with the actual contracts...they're just more of a status for a player...we can come up with a compromise.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Bruyns wroteCOLONPlayers agreed to it so it was a mutual termination or were in material breach of contract (Dotchin)

Okay, I'll have my people reach out to their people to see if they consent to being released from their BBKL contract.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Lee wroteCOLON
Bruyns wroteCOLONPlayers agreed to it so it was a mutual termination or were in material breach of contract (Dotchin)

Okay, I'll have my people reach out to their people to see if they consent to being released from their BBKL contract.

OK, heard back already. Matty Duchene don't give a fuck.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Lee wroteCOLON

It's not a BBKL contract - it's still an NHL contract. So long as the player is playing - you should have to honour the Agreement - just like in the NHL. If GMs are worried about their contracts, they should start making tough decisions just like the other GMs up against the 50 contract limit, be that in real life or in BKKL.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

That would be something that would happen starting next year so don't worry about that right now.

A lot of us here are guilty of hanging onto guys until the last possible moment. There's only so many players that are going to be in the NHL and have actual fantasy value. We all think there's that 1% chance our scrub minor leaguer gets called up and plays 2 games in the NHL and we can flip them for draft picks to a desperate team needing GP.

Nobody here likes to drop players unless it's their last resort. I think most teams would just assume get something for them if they can.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Lee wroteCOLON

It's not a BBKL contract - it's still an NHL contract. So long as the player is playing - you should have to honour the Agreement - just like in the NHL. If GMs are worried about their contracts, they should start making tough decisions just like the other GMs up against the 50 contract limit, be that in real life or in BKKL.

But why? It would add a whole new way for people who actually give a shit about their team to actively upgrade it. It would add to league activity, which is very low at the moment. It is also a defined, actively used process in the NHL. It would add agency to GMs in the league beyond having to lose assets to lose other assets. It would free up players in a much easier manner. I dumped Shane Starette and Yan Laplante into the free agent pool at roster submission and they were quickly snatched up.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I think a simple idea would be any player who hasn't played in an NHL game but is under contract can go through our form of "unconditional waivers". Isn't it more likely that a player that can't make it to the NHL is the kind of player you'd most want to drop?

We can throw out some ideas and if there's enough support out there, we can consider a rule change.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

It's tough because NHL teams can't do it freely.. there must be a material breach or mutual agreement. But we obviously can't contact players in our case.

How often does an unconditional waivers termination happen each season? I would assume it's not a lot.

Edit: I see 7 for this season, above.
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

And when an nhl team terminates a contract (mutually or via breach), it terminates the bbkl contract for us. So there is no reason for us to change the rule, imo.

This isn't the NFL.
Last edited by 1 on Matthew, edited 0 times in total.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLONIt's tough because NHL teams can't do it freely.. there must be a material breach or mutual agreement. But we obviously can't contact players in our case.

How often does an unconditional waivers termination happen each season? I would assume it's not a lot.

Edit: I see 7 for this season, above.

That was just for the past month, there have been more.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to