GDP Week 7

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: GDP Week 7

Post by The BBKL Insider »

I like take-aways. I'm a fan of not including give-aways.
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Post by Loki »

I'm definitely for getting rid of plus minus and PIMs. Honestly game winning goals is a pretty random stat too, most of the time it's someone who scored a goal halfway through the game that just so happens to be the one that keeps their team above the other team.
Giveway/takeaways seems a worthwhile stat to reward, though a lot of good defencemen have a lot of giveaways just because of how much they play.
I believe Fantrax can track shots missed too
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

i kinda agree with Matt to stay the way it is.. although i do agree that PIMs can be quite useless.. but to me.. it is not a mean to award guys to take penalties.. although most of the penalties are bad.. but for the players with most PIMs, usually those with tons of fights.. they can spark their team up in some way for a bounce back and can be momentum changing.. (this is coming from a team with one of the fewest PIMs in BBKL)..
i guess all stats have some flaws except those goals and assists (although you can still argue secondary assists are those who dump the puck in.. but those who spark the play doesn't get an assist)... and to me +/- are to some extent still a pretty decent indicator of how an individual contributes.. i duno.. i don't think we should look at the individual players or individual plays alone but to look at a line and team play to take into consideration too.. like if you know X player will promoted to the first line.. you have more incentives to dress that player into your lineup.. just for example.. i am ok with give/takeaways.. but was mentioned above even good defenseman do have a lot of giveaways.. do you want to penalize their fantasy value for playing heavy minutes on their team? Also i hope we won't go into CORSI as i am not persuaded by it but rather better to watch the game to know their performance as a player.
#91 - John Tavares
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Post by Loki »

lol Hong, how can you be for plus minus but against Corsi? It's just plus minus for shots
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONEven strength pts an option on fantrax? Primary assists?
Fantrax has a ton of options. Even strength points is one of them. Primary assists isn't. I'd be fine with splitting STP to PPP and SHP.

Or something like minor penalties. Only minor penalties count (as 1 each, not minutes, though this doesn't matter) and set their value to -1, so more minors taken in a week loses the stat.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Having primary assists and an assist column would make assists more valuable than goals. Having a point, STP, and even strength point category is again, very redundant.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

Loki wroteCOLONlol Hong, how can you be for plus minus but against Corsi? It's just plus minus for shots
is it that simple? i read there's like RF% and stuff that i couldn't even understand a single shit :lol:
#91 - John Tavares
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

We need to add more value to skilled players. I like take-aways, scoring chances, etc...
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

The BBKL Insider wroteCOLONWe need to add more value to skilled players. I like take-aways, scoring chances, etc...
I think this makes sense too, as it stands we are valuing a point as much as a hit or blocked shot which doesn't make that much sense.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON
The BBKL Insider wroteCOLONWe need to add more value to skilled players. I like take-aways, scoring chances, etc...
I think this makes sense too, as it stands we are valuing a point as much as a hit or blocked shot which doesn't make that much sense.
Untrue. A point counts at least twice as much as a block.

You get a block it shows up in the blocked shot column.

You get a point it shows up in the point column + (goal or assist column) and possibly + STP column and/or + gwg column, and even the plus/minus column.

A point is minimum worth twice as much as a block and potentially 4x as much as a block.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

I like PIM and/or plus minus out. But I don't like giveaways and takeaways as I'm skeptical about the accuracy in those stats
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON

You get a point it shows up in the point column + (goal or assist column) and possibly + STP column and/or + gwg column, and even the plus/minus column.

A point is minimum worth twice as much as a block and potentially 4x as much as a block.
This might be true but at the same time there are a decent number of 200 hitters in the league, and if a point is worth ~4 times a hit then a 200 hitter would be the rough equivalent of a 50 point scorer correct? Is this something that makes sense?
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON

This might be true but at the same time there are a decent number of 200 hitters in the league, and if a point is worth ~4 times a hit then a 200 hitter would be the rough equivalent of a 50 point scorer correct? Is this something that makes sense?
It doesnt make sense. hits only compete with hits and a lot of players get lots of hits, meaning you are looking at a ratio for that 200, just as you are for points...so yes, 200 hits is worth 50 points, if points are only affecting the points category. but it isnt, because the 50 points also is capable of hitting 4 categories other than "points" - (goals or assists), stp, plus/minus, gwg. in the end, if you get 4 hits, you are only capable of winning 1 category. if you get 1 point, you are then capable of winning 4 or 5 categories.
Last edited by 2 on Matthew, edited 0 times in total.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

koomzzz wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLONEven strength pts an option on fantrax? Primary assists?
Fantrax has a ton of options. Even strength points is one of them. Primary assists isn't. I'd be fine with splitting STP to PPP and SHP.

Or something like minor penalties. Only minor penalties count (as 1 each, not minutes, though this doesn't matter) and set their value to -1, so more minors taken in a week loses the stat.
This is the one I'd really like to replace +/- then. Majority of the game is played at even strength. You want to talk about rewarding skilled players, well this is it.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON

No it doesn't make sense because in a categories league such as this each category only counts for 1. If this were a points league, then you would have a valid point.
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

I think hits, shtoi, blocks are important stats. It lets us diversify our rosters with all types of players and it makes players who score 50+points and contribute with peripherals even more valuable. I just think we need to change up a few stats. PIMs has become a useless stat because fighting is being phased out, I don't care for +/- either.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

im currently ln 6th in the western conference and playing the clear 8th place team (16th place playoff team and only team under .500) if we were to begin the playoffs right now. I like it.
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by lightupdadarkness »

never been a fan of +/- but realistically when you start tweaking stats you mess with player values in the league and unless you are benefiting from it can't imagine how that works for competitive balance
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

lightupdadarkness wroteCOLONnever been a fan of +/- but realistically when you start tweaking stats you mess with player values in the league and unless you are benefiting from it can't imagine how that works for competitive balance
my god tom wilson would be worthlessssss
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by lightupdadarkness »

thom54 wroteCOLON
lightupdadarkness wroteCOLONnever been a fan of +/- but realistically when you start tweaking stats you mess with player values in the league and unless you are benefiting from it can't imagine how that works for competitive balance
my god tom wilson would be worthlessssss
worthlesssssssssssssssssssssssssss
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to