Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Fraser
PostsCOLON 3681
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am
LocationCOLON Perth, Western Australia

Re: 1100 GP Minimum

Post by Fraser »

In general. I think as a league we gotta try and create conditions that allow our worse teams to get better. And I think there are some strong points in here worth discussing if we are creating conditions that accomplish that.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

With no true contract or free agency element, teams can't easily add players and top teams don't necessarily have to worry about losing anyone. I'm not suggesting we do that now but the fact that only trades and drafts are the only ways to acquire players...it does make it a bit of a slower ascent up the league if you're making your way from the bottom.

As a team that took a beating for a while and burned a lot of useful assets just to be compliant with league rules...I wouldn't want the rules to be that much easier. I think it's on the GM to be creative enough to get through the tough times and work on becoming a more competitive team. Once you get best the "scratching to get by" stage as a team...you can be more aggressive and either continue to build through the draft or make some impactful trades.

When you're near the top of the league, the only things you have to deal with in terms league rules is the salary cap and worry about who is waiver exempt. They're in the power position. Mike and Mik can accumulate assets that allows them to make aggressive and impactful trades like getting Matthews and Laine this past spring.

Bottom line...I like what have in this league. You make good trades and bad trades and you make good draft picks and bad draft picks. It's all about can you make the good moves work for you and can you overcome the bad moves.

It's all a problem solving exercise...

How do you address a team need?

Who is the best player available at your pick?

Do you keep this player or do you choose to trade them?

This wouldn't be as much fun if it was easy.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Fraser
PostsCOLON 3681
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am
LocationCOLON Perth, Western Australia

Post by Fraser »

Completely agreed. The difficulty of the climb is what has kept me hooked on this league as well.

That being said. I think revision here is necessary.

Looking just at Carolina/Pittsburgh.

If you had told Mike that he was going to get a guaranteed top 5 pick when he acquired Carolina's first rounder, I suspect that would have been a great win in his initial transaction to acquire it. Just becuase it was trending to go into the lottery in the #1 spot with Carolina under GP and had to be corrected, I don't feel like it has really damaged Pittsburgh ti the point of needing an additional 1st rounder for compensation. When realistically speaking he has already won the deal without it already.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

If Paul was going to be GP complaint this year...was it possible he'd still finish 30th? It's quite possible. Maybe could've finished 29th. It's not a given that 30th place team in the league won't be GP compliant. You can conceivable play with the 12 worst NHL forwards, 6 worst NHL defensemen and 2 worst NHL goalies and be GP compliant.

Everyone else near the bottom of the league had to be GP compliant and that likely affects how many points they earned this season. Paul missing GP by 40 or 50 games does affect how many points he could've earned if he was compliant. If he finished far enough behind 29th place, if you adjusted his points...he probably could've still finished 30th.

In Mike's position, he shouldn't benefit from Paul not being compliant. I wouldn't ding him more than adjusting Paul's points earned in the season. At worst, he moves to 29th and it affects positioning the lottery.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Paul said he hadn't signed into fantrax since January. To me, that isn't putting in the effort to hit gp. Fuck.

Yes, the rules need to be modified. But we can use what we have for this season, and make the changes for next season.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

That's not a major sin if you don't have anything to change in your lineup in that amount of time. If you're fortunate enough to not have any injuries and you have your best lineup put together...you can get away with that.

I think the problem with some is that they don't worry about GP until it's usually too late. You really should set your team up at the beginning of the season to get there safely. If you don't, you're going to have to make those desperate trades around the deadline where you have to give away useful assets for plugs in your lineup.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Monk wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLONYah, just make it tougher for the rebuilding team to get out of the cellar. Sounds genius to me
This shit isn't rocket science, I was a bottom dweller for years, and I managed to stay within all the rules every year, I made sure I would always hit GP minimum, and if I thought I wouldn't make it I traded picks and prospects to make the minimum requirement. I respected the rules and the system

Couple of years down I owned a pick that was also moved back because the team who it belonged to missed GP so I was punished for their mistakes, and I didn't whine and cry endlessly that it was sooo unfair, I stated my case it went against me and that was it.

Having said all of that there is no reason to punish the team who missed that minimum further, the GM should know that is unacceptable, and the team trading for said pick takes the risk knowing it could be moved back if the minimum is not met. The risk is on both sides.

Punishment for missing is simple, you miss it once I can understand that I walked a fine line myself, you missed it again you're fuckin done bitch. Cya
Pretty sure Paul knows it's unacceptable to miss GP based on the fact that he has done it once in seven years. He's also made plenty of retarded trades just to get GP to meet the requirements.

Whatever, I'm gonna go back to my hole
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Anaheim now officially misses game played.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

Anaheim and Carolina officially missed the 1100 GP minimum.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to