Which CHL team are you cheering for this year?

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Re: Which CHL team are you cheering for this year?

Post by Da_Hawks »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLONThat doesn't really answer my question.
Their motivation to develop and turn pro won't change whether they get an extra $30k on top or not.

Why can't they give scholarships and a small salary on top?
The NCAA makes an absolute killing (football at least) using these players. Most of these guys don't even get a proper education, flying through with bird courses and "extra credit" due to the time commitment it takes to be an athlete for the school that's making money off of them.
Perhaps not everyone's motivation will change - but you start putting $$$ into the pockets of young adults on sports teams and I can bet you that a couple of careers are going to end before they even begin. Don't tempt the kids while they are learning to be adults. Let's say it's 30K/year just for tuition that these kids are not paying. Now they also get full access to tutors, personal trainers, private gyms, massage therapists etc. What kind of value is that in a given year. Personal trainers are stupid expensive! I bet their actual ''taxable benefit'' is close to 50k/year - US. That's more than what most people will earn in a year working full-time. I think the kids are doing just fine. Assuming they are on a full-ride of course, of which many of them are not (which is what I would change for all genders)

I don't see an issue with the current system. Sure the NCAA teams are making tons of cash and maybe there should be better regulations as to where that money goes. But that's a whole other story.
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

Their motivation to develop and turn pro won't change whether they get an extra $30k on top or not.

The NCAA makes an absolute killing (football at least) using these players. Most of these guys don't even get a proper education, flying through with bird courses and "extra credit" due to the time commitment it takes to be an athlete for the school that's making money off of them.
Should they pay Minnesota-Duluth players the same that they pay Alabama Huntsville?

Should football players at Bama be paid the same as those from UMass? - Plus NCAAF teams have like 100 players per team, who do you pay? Only the top levels? How do you decide who deserves the extra $30k? Surely you can't pay Johnny 5th QB the same you're paying Tua.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

Pros get access to all of those as well (except tutors) and they get paid handsomely on top to generate LESS revenue in many cases. It's also really on them if they ruin their careers because of a few years of a low salary.
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

koomzzz wroteCOLON

Should they pay Minnesota-Duluth players the same that they pay Alabama Huntsville?

Should football players at Bama be paid the same as those from UMass? - Plus NCAAF teams have like 100 players per team, who do you pay? Only the top levels? How do you decide who deserves the extra $30k? Surely you can't pay Johnny 5th QB the same you're paying Tua.
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to come up with a decent structure that makes sense. The NCAA certainly is benefitting enough to give them a small portion of the profit.
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

The fact that the following 'essay' received an A- at UNC tells you all you need to know about the education/sports balance in these NCAA programs.

I can also personally attest to the fact that this is more the norm than an exception.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONThe fact that the following 'essay' received an A- at UNC tells you all you need to know about the education/sports balance in these NCAA programs.

I can also personally attest to the fact that this is more the norm than an exception.
More proof there
That this is more of a reason why these kids should not be paid - theyre idiots lol
Arian ur on crack if u think they shud be paid. U were a student urself not long ago and survived. How can u even justify such points ur making? Who the fuck cares how much of a killing NCAA makes. Business is separate. Students should be students like all other students around the world. Its pretty black and white.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONThe fact that the following 'essay' received an A- at UNC tells you all you need to know about the education/sports balance in these NCAA programs.

This. Most of these guys are cheated out of a true education so I don't see full ride scholarships as enough personally.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Just let the students sign their ELCs and maintain their college eligibility. Gives them some pocket change (haha) to use while they focus on school.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLON

This. Most of these guys are cheated out of a true education so I don't see full ride scholarships as enough personally.
I'm not sure I understand. You are blaming the system for the students lack of willingness to write a proper paper? If they wanted a real education, they would get one. Some people just don't care because they think they are only made for sports. We are getting way off topic if we start exploring that issue though.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

kimmer wroteCOLON

More proof there
That this is more of a reason why these kids should not be paid - theyre idiots lol
Arian ur on crack if u think they shud be paid. U were a student urself not long ago and survived. How can u even justify such points ur making? Who the fuck cares how much of a killing NCAA makes. Business is separate. Students should be students like all other students around the world. Its pretty black and white.
Lol wtf? Business is not seperate, it's ALL business. The justification for not paying them for making the schools money is that they get full rides to Universities but the reality is that most of the students can't use them to their advantage because they simply can't (whether they are just not smart enough or have no time) and accepting work like that doesn't push them either.
Last edited by 1 on Arian The Insider, edited 0 times in total.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

I'm not sure I understand. You are blaming the system for the students lack of willingness to write a proper paper? If they wanted a real education, they would get one. Some people just don't care because they think they are only made for sports. We are getting way off topic if we start exploring that issue though.
Sorry, they are not just cheated by the system (many choose not to try or are bad students) but they're not exactly put into a decent position to succeed considering the amount of travel, training and practice they do. Giving them marks for crappy work like that also doesn't help them either.

I don't see full ride scholarships as enough when there isn't any balance between sports and education.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

Sorry, they are not just cheated by the system (many choose not to try or are bad students) but they're not exactly put into a decent position to succeed considering the amount of travel, training and practice they do. Giving them marks for crappy work like that also doesn't help them either.

I don't see full ride scholarships as enough when there isn't any balance between sports and education.
While not knowing exactly the balance itself - it does seem like the agenda being propagated in the media/movies/whatever is that star athletes get special attention and free passes. Guess that is what happens when your institution cares more about winning then educating young minds. Is the NCAA turning a blind idea, or do they come down hard on institutions when this is made public?

Imagine what they would do if they got paid on top of that!!! What kind of person are we building when they get paid to suck at learning. Not a great recipe for success if you ask me.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Ok bro. Go become a billionaire and pay theae kids. Go
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

While not knowing exactly the balance itself - it does seem like the agenda being propagated in the media/movies/whatever is that star athletes get special attention and free passes. Guess that is what happens when your institution cares more about winning then educating young minds. Is the NCAA turning a blind idea, or do they come down hard on institutions when this is made public?

Imagine what they would do if they got paid on top of that!!! What kind of person are we building when they get paid to suck at learning. Not a great recipe for success if you ask me.
They would get paid for their sport. I don't know about all sports but the commitment for football players is more hours in a week than a 9-5 job when including training, practice, film study, etc.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

kimmer wroteCOLONOk bro. Go become a billionaire and pay theae kids. Go
Ok bro
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Players should very obviously be paid in major college sports. In any other industry making millions and billions off somebody else's likeness would not be accepted, so why should it be in college sports? Nick Saban alone for instance makes an 8.3 million dollar a year salary to coach the top NCAA football program. ESPN pays 470 million a year annually for the rights to the college football playoffs. It's a complete farce and rigged system.
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

Let go Greyhounds
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to