Which CHL team are you cheering for this year?

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Which CHL team are you cheering for this year?

Post by hong57 »

1G 1A again for Chabot.. 12 points in 7 games.. hope he has a strong showing in wjc and make the nhl full time next year
#91 - John Tavares
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

At the Kitchener Rangers game with my son and we're sitting in the middle of all the Owen Sound parents.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Chuck Norris wroteCOLONAt the Kitchener Rangers game with my son and we're sitting in the middle of all the Owen Sound parents.
How are Bracco and Mascherin looking? ;)
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106

Post by hong57 »

2 A tonight.. 14 points in 8 games..
#91 - John Tavares
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106

Post by hong57 »

wow,,, yamamoto 6a night for him....
#91 - John Tavares
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Chuck Norris wroteCOLON
bills09 wroteCOLON
Chuck Norris wroteCOLONKitchener Rangers. Go to see them a bunch of times every year. Big homer of Lando, Faksa and Reider because of it. Now I get to watch Opilka develop in net from my roster.
Bravo has been tearing it up
Bracco has looked great to start the year. Great hands, great feet....needs some more work defensively but that will never be his bread and butter.
Opilka just had to retire at 21 due to 2 major hip surgeries.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

CHL sux
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106

Post by hong57 »

kimmer wroteCOLONCHL sux
haha..

greyhounds (hayton) for me this year
#91 - John Tavares
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106

Post by hong57 »

btw, do you guys think chl players should get paid? it will then become a pro league no?
#91 - John Tavares
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

100 % they should get paid.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

They are providing owners with a product that they can sell. Should owners get to make money without paying it's workers?
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

They should probably just pay them and scrap the university scholarship program they do
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLONThey should probably just pay them and scrap the university scholarship program they do
Should you not argue that the NCAA teams should also pay? Those programs make money and in some schools I guarantee it’s a lot more than what the CHL teams make.

A ton of CHL teams will go bankrupt easily. The way it’s set up these small communities really get a lot of buy in with locals billeting for the players and all that... players would then have to pay for their own accommodation... it would really change the landscape. I think these kids (remember they are kids) should be pushed to the opportunity of pursuing an education rather than getting too much money at a young age without a future in the game.

Yes there are some programs in the league (London, Kitchener, Kingston, Barrie - I only know the Ohl well) who likely are profitable for the owners. But there are way more just scraping by...
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLON
Arian The Insider wroteCOLONThey should probably just pay them and scrap the university scholarship program they do
Should you not argue that the NCAA teams should also pay? Those programs make money and in some schools I guarantee it’s a lot more than what the CHL teams make.

A ton of CHL teams will go bankrupt easily. The way it’s set up these small communities really get a lot of buy in with locals billeting for the players and all that... players would then have to pay for their own accommodation... it would really change the landscape. I think these kids (remember they are kids) should be pushed to the opportunity of pursuing an education rather than getting too much money at a young age without a future in the game.

Yes there are some programs in the league (London, Kitchener, Kingston, Barrie - I only know the Ohl well) who likely are profitable for the owners. But there are way more just scraping by...
NCAA absolutely should, they make a killing
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLON

Nah - don't let the kids motivation be solely for money. Give them full ride athletic scholarships at the very most. While in school, the focus should be on developing themselves and their skills, not their pocket books.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

Nah - don't let the kids motivation be solely for money. Give them full ride athletic scholarships at the very most. While in school, the focus should be on developing themselves and their skills, not their pocket books.
wholeheartedly agree
students who arent elite athlete types earn money by working part-time jobs or do TA
if they're eventually good enough to go pro, they'll be handsomely paid regardless
if you want money when you're a student, go work a job

flipside of the coin is that a lotta student athletes need to put aside tremendous amounts of time compared to rest of the students for training/committment/free time lost from trying to go pro in these sports - thats what parents are for. Organizations shouldn't PAY kids to become pro. Take out a loan like I did prior to becoming a professional in my own career. There are means - never encourage kids with money to become a professional
Last edited by 1 on kimmer, edited 0 times in total.
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

kimmer wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

wholeheartedly agree
students who arent elite athlete types earn money by working part-time jobs or do TA
if they're eventually good enough to go pro, they'll be handsomely paid regardless
if you want money when you're a student, go work a job
This> plus a lot of the team is likely to already be on scholarship anyway. Even if you're not a high-end talent your education is at least partially paid for, if you choose to do anything with it of course. At some of these schools tuition is through the roof, you can't play for the team if you aren't at the school, which needs to be paid for.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

How exactly would you change your focus on the college court/field/ice if you were getting paid a standard wage vs. if you weren't getting paid?
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

How exactly would you change your focus on the college court/field/ice if you were getting paid a standard wage vs. if you weren't getting paid?
In essence, those on a scholarship are getting paid - it's just in advance. How many kids are going to make 30k a year on a standard wage job while in school? Give the athletes a scholarship, help them become exceptional young men and women on and off the ice - and if they want to pursue a pro league after, then go for it.

If the NCAA has to start regulating income from games and distributing them to help cover the scholarships for athletes, then that's another conversation to be had. But for now, I'd be pretty dam happy just getting my school paid for while I play sports.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

That doesn't really answer my question.
Their motivation to develop and turn pro won't change whether they get an extra $30k on top or not.

Why can't they give scholarships and a small salary on top?
The NCAA makes an absolute killing (football at least) using these players. Most of these guys don't even get a proper education, flying through with bird courses and "extra credit" due to the time commitment it takes to be an athlete for the school that's making money off of them.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to