Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

BBKL Google Sheets Tutorial

Post by Shoalzie »

Player Database
Every team's sheets reference a global database with player information. No longer will teams have to enter data manually.

The player names are listed just like the names are listed on Fantrax. However, the database lists the player with first name first. *See exceptions below.

The information will be updated frequently throughout the season and new contract information will be added when necessary.

Getting Started
Each team starts with 5 sheets (2 sheets are hidden). "Picks", "Roster" and "Preseason" are the starting sheets. "Picks" references the respective team's draft picks from the league's draft pick sheets. "Roster" is an overview page of the team's roster and "Preseason" is the weekly lineup page template.

The two hidden sheets are called "Players" and "Information". Those are for reference only. "Players" is referencing the player database and "Information" references the logos and flags shown on the roster sheets.

"Picks" Sheet
No data entry is required for this sheet. The pick information will update when the league information is updated.

"Roster" Sheet
Members of a team's active roster can be entered in cells B3 through B92. Column A is for entering the player's position. Position information will be automated at a later date. Columns C through AC are locked are referencing the hidden "Players" sheet.

Players listed on "Roster" are referenced by the weekly sheets (example: "Preseason").

During the season, names of former roster players can be entered in rows 94 through 143 so those names can still be referenced on all sheets during the season.

Weekly Lineup Sheet ("Preseason")
Data entry is only required in columns A through D. Column A is for the player's recognized position. Column B is for assigning a player as cap relief in the event of LTIR. Column C is to assign the player a role in the weekly lineup. To assign the player to the minors, simply enter "M". All other roles are listed in row L. Column D is for the player names. All other columns are locked and automated.

Use the "Preseason" sheet for roster submission. Duplicate "Preseason" for each week of the season.

Waivers
The formulas for waivers are done remotely on the player database. The weekly lineup sheets will display waivers status in columns G and H. "Roster" will also list the waiver status in column L. Players listed as "Exempt" do no need to clear waivers to be assigned to the minors.

If a player is not listed as "Exempt" and is assigned to the minors ("M" entered in column C), the player will have red "!!" shown in column H. That player must clear waivers.

Contract Slides
Similar to waivers, the formula for sliding contract status is done in the database. The status is shown on the weekly lineup sheet in column J as a green "!".

You must declare which players you wish to slide their contracts and that status is entered into the database. In column I of the lineup sheet, their status will appear as "Yes". That player will not count towards the 50 contract limit.

Database Exceptions
As mentioned above under "Player Database", there are some players listed in the database not as they appear on Fantrax. Those exceptions include multiple players with the same name. These how those players are listed:

Sebastian Aho (I)
Position: D | Born: February 17, 1996 | Current Team: Skelleftea AIK (SHL)

Sebastian Aho (II)
Position: LW | Born: July 26, 1997 | Current Team: Carolina

Josh Anderson (I)
Position: RW | Born: May 7, 1994 | Current Team: Columbus

Josh Anderson (II)
Position: D | Born: August 31, 1998 | Current Team: Colorado

Erik Gustafsson (I)
Position: D | Born: December 15, 1988 | Current Team: Avangard Omsk (KHL)

Erik Gustafsson (II)
Position: D | Born: March 14, 1992 | Current Team: Chicago

Ryan Jones (I)
Position: LW | Born: June 14, 1984 | Current Team: Kolner Haie (DEL)

Ryan Jones (II)
Position: D | Born: May 26, 1996 | Current Team: Pittsburgh

Erik Karlsson (I)
Position: D | Born: May 31, 1990 | Current Team: Ottawa

Erik Karlsson (II)
Position: LW | Born: July 28, 1994 | Current Team: Carolina
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Re: BBKL Google Sheets Tutorial

Post by Shoalzie »

Feel free ask any more questions you have and please report any issues with the sheets. Those issues will be corrected by this weekend.

If you've not received access to your team sheets, send me your e-mail.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Haven't read yet but slow clapping preemptively
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Post by Loki »

Looks awesome, great job on these

If we have any players whose contract information doesn't show up when you enter in their names should we just list them to be updated? I've added Alexandre Fortin to mine and no info comes up
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I will check on any issues with names missing from the database and if there have been any names changed on the site. I think Fortin was just recently added because he signed not too long ago.

I did notice one change on Fantrax this morning...I had Joshua Morrissey in my database from earlier this summer. Hong wondered why his information was missing but now I see on Fantrax he's now listed as "Josh Morrissey". I'll update the database for that name.

I'll be on the lookout for any names that have changed on the Fantrax site. I want to have my names match their site. What I'll probably do is once the NHL season starts, any name that changes on Fantrax, I'm going to make a note that the player will be listed with the way they listed the player this summer. I won't recognize any mid-season name changes because it'll screw up all your sheets.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Kameron Kielly also recently added.

Alan Lyszczarczyk not showing despite having been active for a while.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

I would venture in saying it might be a spelling problem LOL
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

It's not, I've copied it directly from FT, but I can see how you'd think that lol.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Players from our drafts that are undrafted in the NHL and that don't have contracts will be the last players I'll add to the database.

They're waiver exempt by default since they don't have a contract and their rights aren't own by any NHL team. The information is more of a formality. I'll try to get those guys entered by the end of the weekend.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

There's still players on my sheet with NHL contracts missing info. Erik Nystrom is still showing up as the old, over the hill Nystrom as well. Am I supposed to put (II) after his name? (Not working btw)

As much as I think this makes things easier on GMs to add players, this a real bitch to try to do on my phone... (my only real complaint)
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Tony wroteCOLONThere's still players on my sheet with NHL contracts missing info. Erik Nystrom is still showing up as the old, over the hill Nystrom as well. Am I supposed to put (II) after his name? (Not working btw)

As much as I think this makes things easier on GMs to add players, this a real bitch to try to do on my phone... (my only real complaint)
I'll address that when I get a chance, Tony.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

And I wouldn't recommend doing this on a phone. Luke asked me about that before. Call me old school...I couldn't do all this work if I wasn't on a laptop.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

I get a huge lag on phone or PC when I first start up the sheet
All from the data loading and that shit
Like a good 30 second of freeze to the whole sheet lol
Holy shit
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

I'm still confused about LTIR cap calculations... I gained $10mil in cap when I should only gain $5mil
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

kimmer wroteCOLONI get a huge lag on phone or PC when I first start up the sheet
All from the data loading and that shit
Like a good 30 second of freeze to the whole sheet lol
Holy shit

There will be a lag if I make some updates...it happens to me too.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

koomzzz wroteCOLONI'm still confused about LTIR cap calculations... I gained $10mil in cap when I should only gain $5mil

Yes, the LTIR stuff needs to be addressed.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

Erik Karlsson (II)

still doesn't populate for me
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm going to check your sheet and Fantrax to make sure your rosters match. Make sure you add any missing players on Fantrax.

Here's that linking requesting missing players:
http://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/re ... xpinlso18q
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Hey man, my new kid isn't showing. Jonathon Martin

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/2258
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Lee wroteCOLONHey man, my new kid isn't showing. Jonathon Martin

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/2258

If I remember right, his name when I started this was listed as just Jon Martin...another name Fantrax has decided to change. Throw it on the pile of things I need to wrap up this weekend.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to