kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Re: Announcement thread discussion

Post by kimmer »

Can someone just tell me straight up without me having to weed thru discussion

What the fuck is our bbkl gp minimum? Is it fuckin 850 or 1100
Is carolina gonna make it or not by seasons end?

Thx so much
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

timwebb1212 wroteCOLON
foofnik wroteCOLONFWIW ADHL has 950 for regular season (most thought 1000 was OK but we dropped it a little anyway)

We felt 15 active skaters each week was a fair minimum number, full lineup is 18 skaters.

Each team gets through about 65 games by the time our regular season ends (same exact schedule and timing as in here)

15 x 65 = 975 so there's breathing room.

18 x 65 = 1170 so that leaves 220 GP for injuries and guys going up and down, that's over 10 GP each week in breathing room, that's 3 or 4 spots to fiddle with.
And 25% of the league missed GP, including the defending champ.

A minimum should be something easy to reach, not something that any team rebuilding has to sweat out all season and make like 10 trades killing their prospect depth in a desperate attempt to acquire NHL players
And if you don't strip your team to all 4th liners and tweeners in an attempt to guarantee last place, then you wouldn't put yourself in such a position to potentially miss GP. 5 teams missed the 1k mark, including 2 who had the most blatent tanking game I've ever witnessed in a fantasy league, and 1 team without a GM. For 7 or 8 teams to miss a LOWER mark the following year is not a problem with the rule, it's a problem with GM's racing to the bottom and screwing themselves. It's simple, don't tank and you won't have a GP issue.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

kimmer wroteCOLONCan someone just tell me straight up without me having to weed thru discussion

What the fuck is our bbkl gp minimum? Is it fuckin 850 or 1100
Is carolina gonna make it or not by seasons end?

Thx so much

it is still 1100 this season, including playoffs.

next year it goes to 850 regular season only.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

koomzzz wroteCOLONWhy don't we leave the ADHL bickering for ADHL?
you right, my bad
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

foofnik wroteCOLON

And if you don't strip your team to all 4th liners and tweeners in an attempt to guarantee last place, then you wouldn't put yourself in such a position to potentially miss GP. 5 teams missed the 1k mark, including 2 who had the most blatent tanking game I've ever witnessed in a fantasy league, and 1 team without a GM. For 7 or 8 teams to miss a LOWER mark the following year is not a problem with the rule, it's a problem with GM's racing to the bottom and screwing themselves. It's simple, don't tank and you won't have a GP issue.
I don't necessarily think trading older players for younger who may not yet be playing but will be good in a year or 4, is tanking.

if a team has players that should be playing that aren't, that is definitely tanking.
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

dave1959 wroteCOLON
foofnik wroteCOLON

I don't necessarily think trading older players for younger who may not yet be playing but will be good in a year or 4, is tanking.

if a team has players that should be playing that aren't, that is definitely tanking.
i think the point was specifically in reference to the other league, since we saw exactly that happen.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

The drop seems reasonable to me. Also, our league has been pretty strict on blatant tanking (Lee can tell you all about it haha), so if its obvious and something concerning, the CC will step in. I also don't think that shitty teams trying to get some top picks to boost their roster is a bad thing... not sure how trading away assets to get 4th liners to fill GP is better for parity than knowing arranging your roster to try get a better pick while meeting the GP Requirement.

If anything with this "easier" GP mark, one could argue for a "harsher" penalty for missing GP.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLONIf anything with this "easier" GP mark, one could argue for a "harsher" penalty for missing GP.
highly agreed
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

foofnik wroteCOLON
Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLONIf anything with this "easier" GP mark, one could argue for a "harsher" penalty for missing GP.
highly agreed
Schoalzie has stated this twice in this thread.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLONThe drop seems reasonable to me. Also, our league has been pretty strict on blatant tanking (Lee can tell you all about it haha), so if its obvious and something concerning, the CC will step in. I also don't think that shitty teams trying to get some top picks to boost their roster is a bad thing... not sure how trading away assets to get 4th liners to fill GP is better for parity than knowing arranging your roster to try get a better pick while meeting the GP Requirement.

If anything with this "easier" GP mark, one could argue for a "harsher" penalty for missing GP.

It's like you've read my mind for the last 7 years.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

foofnik wroteCOLON
timwebb1212 wroteCOLON
foofnik wroteCOLONFWIW ADHL has 950 for regular season (most thought 1000 was OK but we dropped it a little anyway)

We felt 15 active skaters each week was a fair minimum number, full lineup is 18 skaters.

Each team gets through about 65 games by the time our regular season ends (same exact schedule and timing as in here)

18 x 65 = 1170 so that leaves 220 GP for injuries and guys going up and down, that's over 10 GP each week in breathing room, that's 3 or 4 spots to fiddle with.

A minimum should be something easy to reach, not something that any team rebuilding has to sweat out all season and make like 10 trades killing their prospect depth in a desperate attempt to acquire NHL players
Which 2 would you be referring to? :D
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

timwebb1212 wroteCOLON

A minimum is something that should be reachable within reason. A minimum that allows you to dress over 25% of your roster with AHLers regularly is not within reason and invites blatant tanking. All this Is going to do is widen the gap between the top and bottom teams and that is the easiest way imo to kill a league.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I understand your concern, Casper but this league is 8 years old. The gap in talent from top to bottom hasn't ruined the quality or competitiveness of the league. There's naturally going to be a gap in talent when there's this many teams and now we add one more this spring. Teams that make good decisions generally get rewarded while teams that don't make good decisions or don't put in the effort get punished.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
timwebb1212 wroteCOLON

A minimum is something that should be reachable within reason. A minimum that allows you to dress over 25% of your roster with AHLers regularly is not within reason and invites blatant tanking. All this Is going to do is widen the gap between the top and bottom teams and that is the easiest way imo to kill a league.
Forcing teams that already have very little assets to pay for the 4th liners that the good teams have doesn't do the same thing?
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I agree with Arian...I'd rather see teams work on improving their roster rather throw away assets for warm bodies. It's not like we made the minimum at an extremely low number. It's a fair number that all teams that put in an effort should get there without breaking a sweat.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLON
timwebb1212 wroteCOLON

Forcing teams that already have very little assets to pay for the 4th liners that the good teams have doesn't do the same thing?
How do you think they got there in the 1st place? Whatever. Some people have to learn the hard way.
timwebb1212
PostsCOLON 720
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 pm

Post by timwebb1212 »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI agree with Arian...I'd rather see teams work on improving their roster rather throw away assets for warm bodies. It's not like we made the minimum at an extremely low number. It's a fair number that all teams that put in an effort should get there without breaking a sweat.
Yeah I don't see why some want to trade off long-term actual parity (in the sense of bad teams improving through picks and prospects) for short-term "parity" which isn't even actually parity since me acquiring Michael Chaput is not gonna make any difference when I play a team with a C group of Kelser, Scheifele, Rask, Schenn, and Bonino.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Basement teams will just reduce the quality of their roster even further if we require fewer games played (as a percentage)
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

The difference of a game or two per week required isn't going to lead to a tanking epidemic.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

No matter what you set the bar to, teams will rush to cut down to just barely make it, and then look to point blame elsewhere when they miss. You could set the limit to 100 and somehow someone will cut it close. I view the GP threshold as a minimum accepted level of roster acceptable to the league. The lower the number the shittier the roster and thus the longer and harder for that team to ever be competitive.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to