Announcement thread discussion

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Announcement thread discussion

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Given Mike's posts I'd say you're in the same boat as the rest of us trouble makers Tyler
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

I've done this as well. My understanding was that a guy on LTIR gives you excess cap room until he returns from injury. In his stead you can call up or trade for players. Once the player returns you must reopen that cap space on your roster by again, either trading or moving players down.

For example, I had Elias on LTIR and I used umberger's salary as my REL. This allowed me to call up waiver exempt guys. However, as Elias was close to return I either had to trade guys or waive them to be waiver exempt. I ended up deciding to trade Elias.

Similar to the leafs having Horton. That salary simply doesn't count against the cap and they can sign or call up players as they please to fill it.

Let me know if I was doing it wrong. Bottom line, never did I send a player down who was waiver eligible. However, to start the season if I had to count Elias' cap I would have been over the cap
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

I believe you can also trade for a player and use him as LTIR replacement. As long as he starts on your roster in the relief position.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

What about from the start of the season Steve?
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

Like clitstrom? Im not sure.

for example I put tj brodie on ltir then traded for dan boyle the nezt day and used him as brodies relief. Before brodie came off ltir I traded boyle to billy
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

The part that seems to be confusing is the NHL teams don't explicitly state specific players they are using as relief and instead they just are able to exceed the cap if there is cap hits on LTIR.

If we had an up to date CBA it would be easy to point to the rules and say this needs to be followed, but we don't and I know last year I used roster players as relief too and we have long time members that seem to not realize this potentially wasn't allowed.
Last edited by 1 on Bruyns, edited 0 times in total.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

Was not aware that was a rule I always thought the replacement could be any player

I'll just waive Robidas if I have too I really don't care
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLONWhat about from the start of the season Steve?
what was confirmed inside the CC board before the start of the season, without anyone objecting anything:

the players eligible for LTIR replacement without going through waivers are either:
- players coming up from the minors
- players on active roster who are waiver exempt (as they can be sent down and up)
- players coming from trades during the week leading to the new roster lock

coming off the off season, during which there is no distinction anymore between active roster and minors, you can name anyone as LTIR replacement to enter the new season, as there are no waivers before the season starts and it is like anyone is coming up from the minors anyway.

once the LTIR player comes back you have to be compliant by next roster lock by trade or sending down a player (who may or not be waiver exempt).

If you call up a waiver eligible player to replace an injured guy he is W exempt to go back down when the injured player returns but he loses that privilege if kept up once the IR/LTIR player is back in the lineup.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Bruyns wroteCOLONThe part that seems to be confusing is the NHL teams don't explicitly state specific players they are using as relief and instead they just are able to exceed the cap if there is cap hits on LTIR.
tbh I always found our LTIR process to be confusing and I always struggled with it.

btw, ruling "the LTIR replacement player simply can't already be on your roster" it's one thing where I don't see the benefit in moving away from what the NHL does, while complicating our bbkl life.

I'm all for doing things differently from the NHL when it makes our game better and/or it significantly makes our bbkl life easier, but in this case it seems the opposite.
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

So if player X on my roster next week gets injured and makes lets say 4 million. I can only replace him, with a traded player(s) being brought also in that week, or from player(s) from the minors.

If I bring in through trade somebody making say 4.5 million, can the 4 million count as REL and the 0.5million count against the cap ?
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

I believe the answer to the first question is yes and the second is no. This is why people are confused I think, it really makes no sense to force teams to make a trade to cover LTIR cap, or to have a stockpile of waiver exempt players as most waiver exempt players are on ELC which rarely would come close to the cap hits of veteran NHLers should they go on LTIR.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Josh is correct.
tyler
PostsCOLON 1458
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 pm
LocationCOLON Vancouver, BC.

Post by tyler »

I would prefer to use anyone on our roster to be subject to cap exemption during a LTIR players duration.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONI believe the answer to the first question is yes and the second is no. This is why people are confused I think, it really makes no sense to force teams to make a trade to cover LTIR cap, or to have a stockpile of waiver exempt players as most waiver exempt players are on ELC which rarely would come close to the cap hits of veteran NHLers should they go on LTIR.
Click banner to view current roster and picks
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

tyler wroteCOLONI would prefer to use anyone on our roster to be subject to cap exemption during a LTIR players duration.
CAM
PostsCOLON 3734
JoinedCOLON Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by CAM »

Just for some clarity because there seems to be so much in here, If i have a player in my minors that i previously waived and i place player x on LTIR, I can use said player from the minors for relief as long as his cap is below player X? Once player X returns i can send said player back to the minors without having to waive said player because he was an emergency LTIR callup? right?
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

CAM that is entirely correct.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

that's the LTIR call-up situation, wherein the player has to be returned to minors once not being used in LTIR exemption space.

I typically use players that are waiver exempt in my lineup, in the exemption space. In effect sending them to minors, and calling them back up in exemption space, but not needing to expose them to waivers as they are waiver exempt. The NHL teams do this exact same process. There's is more complicated because their salary count is a running/daily total.
Fraser
PostsCOLON 3681
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am
LocationCOLON Perth, Western Australia

Post by Fraser »

Sweet. Still won't lose 3rd in the Pacific.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

that's good to know
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to