Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Re: League Announcements Discussion

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON
Jordan (VGK) wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONThe games for Carolina will be made up at a later date. If we did what ur saying foofnik, any bbkl team who have carolina players will be at a pretty distinct advantage to their opponents (who don't own carolina players) in terms of gp (given the spot, that say, aho has would get my ir players gp, and doubled gp for aho at a later date).

It may be simpler to say that if a player goes to the covid protocol individually, then at a later date his entire team has multiple games canceled, then staal must be taken off of ir on the next roster lock.
Reading between the lines: You can get this advantage by having exempt pieces & empty bench slots.

Seems like the more fair way would be to allow everyone to have this flexibility regardless of how many players are on their bench.
Isn't this the case regardless?
If you have 4 players who aren't playing due to COVID and they aren't IR eligible based on our rules you are forced to dress 1 and stash 3 on your bench. You could have as many depth pieces in your minors that cannot be recalled because these players are not IR illegible and occupying a bench slot when they aren't playing. If your bench slots are currently open you effectively have 3 makeshift COVID IR slots that you can move your players to recall from minors.

Just forces subptimal lineups or waiver decisions that shouldn't be decisions.
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

Regarding Covid and regular injuries, can you put a player this week LTIR or IR retro active to Week 1, if there is proof that they were injured/on covid protocol and continue to be injured/not being able to play due to covid protocol going into week 3.

Sorry guys, been confused about all the covid stuff, have dressed them all because did not think they could go on LTIR and had no cap. Just not sure if putting them on Retroactive is allowed. And if it is allowed and they return from injury/covid in week 4, are we allowed to then take them off LTIR without having to wait another 3 weeks with them on IR.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

I say if a player gets traded and has to quarantine that they be eligible for LTIR for the duration of said quarantine and be eligible to be taken off once they can return to play.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

Florida Chris wroteCOLONRegarding Covid and regular injuries, can you put a player this week LTIR or IR retro active to Week 1, if there is proof that they were injured/on covid protocol and continue to be injured/not being able to play due to covid protocol going into week 3.

Sorry guys, been confused about all the covid stuff, have dressed them all because did not think they could go on LTIR and had no cap. Just not sure if putting them on Retroactive is allowed. And if it is allowed and they return from injury/covid in week 4, are we allowed to then take them off LTIR without having to wait another 3 weeks with them on IR.
Yes, you can set them retroactively if there's proof.
I realize it's past roster lock now, sorry for the late reply.
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLON
Florida Chris wroteCOLONRegarding Covid and regular injuries, can you put a player this week LTIR or IR retro active to Week 1, if there is proof that they were injured/on covid protocol and continue to be injured/not being able to play due to covid protocol going into week 3.

ah, was told you could only do it if you put them on IR previously.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Florida Chris wroteCOLON
Arian The Insider wroteCOLON

ah, was told you could only do it if you put them on IR previously.
LTIR only for confirmed positive test, which the NHL seems to not be declaring. Most info we get is "in protocol".
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Ya this stuff is super confusing. Can you guys post your specific questions about what we’ve provided so far and we’ll chat about it in the CC this week to get it all clarified as best we can for you?
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

The biggest thing for me is the fine line between all the 3 scenarios. Why should it matter if the player tests positive or games are cancelled to be handled a certain way? If they could miss games the reason shouldn't matter. It's unlikely we have that perfect information aligned with our roster locks, so any sign of missing games for COVID reasons should be handled the same as our access to information is the largest issue.

We allow players who may be injured on the IR, and eventually play, why not those who may miss due to COVID? Seems oddly restrictive over something we have absolutely 0 control over.

Who's eligible for LTIR can be a bit more complicated as it seems like someone could abuse if it's too light all year, but currently I don't think it's possible to be used under the current ruleset.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810

Yep. Same discussions we had in CC with people providing opinions either way. We’ll continue to chat about it.

What I would suggest in the interim, is if anyone is unsure if can be placed on IR/LTIR, send a PM or message the board to see if we confirm eligibility.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

What's confusing about this announcement?
http://bbkl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1206 ... 94#p316438

Seems to cover the above concerns.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

kyuss wroteCOLONWhat's confusing about this announcement?
http://bbkl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1206 ... 94#p316438

Seems to cover the above concerns.
I agree, it's pretty much black and white
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

2 things that come to mind that aren't black and white:

1. 5 or so players on Hurricanes went to protocol, is that the entire team? Is it the delayed game that trigger scenario 1 or # of players in protocol? Wording should be updated to reflect if it literally means Dallas stars situation or just games have been cancelled as we have seen games cancelled while the whole team was not considered on the COVID list. Does game being cancelled overrule if you own a player who tested positive? If you own the player who tested positive, can you LTIR after the team resumes play retro to when they test positive?

2. They haven't told us test outcomes just "in protocol" so using the LTIR seems difficult. Even if you can use LTIR from a confirmed positive test, based on NFL return to play & rapid testing players never missed more than a week. Maintaining normal 3 week minimum is punitive and makes the LTIR relief never really a possibility. Especially if you can't make it retro to when they test positive due to Scenario 1 where if cancelled games happen, they are not eligible for LTIR.
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Are we going to get any more info on this? I have around 13 million of cap tied up on IR over the past two weeks and going into this week because of COVID protocols without anyone actually having been confirmed to have it. This seems like a pretty big disadvantage.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONAre we going to get any more info on this? I have around 13 million of cap tied up on IR over the past two weeks and going into this week because of COVID protocols without anyone actually having been confirmed to have it. This seems like a pretty big disadvantage.
"Continuing for the balance of the 2020-21 season, the NHL is sharing the names of Players who are “unavailable” to the Club (to practice, travel or play in games) due to COVID protocols. Such “COVID Protocol Related Absences” can be the result of a number of factors including, among others: (1) an initial positive test which remains unconfirmed until confirmatory testing is completed pursuant to the Positive Test Protocol; (2) mandated isolation for symptomatic individuals pursuant to the Positive Test Protocol; (3) required quarantine as a high-risk close contact in accordance with the Positive Test Protocol; (4) isolation based on a confirmed positive test result and/or; (5) quarantine for travel or other reasons as outlined in the COVID-19 Protocol.

No additional detail will be provided either by the League or the Club, including the precise reason the Player is unavailable or how long he might be out."

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-covid-protocol-l ... -1.1585438
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONAre we going to get any more info on this? I have around 13 million of cap tied up on IR over the past two weeks and going into this week because of COVID protocols without anyone actually having been confirmed to have it. This seems like a pretty big disadvantage.
It is. The 1st week I had almost 20 M in Dallas' players I couldn't use (14-15M inevitably on the roster) and I couldn't even put them on IR.

That said, I think if it's the 3rd straight week you should be able to put them in retroactive LTIR.
Not sure CC explicitly covered this case, but seems consistent with the rest of the policy. The reason why only those who officially tested positive are eligible for LTIR is that they are the ones who can be expected to be out for an extended period of time compatible with our LTIR (3 weeks). If that period extends to 3 weeks, those who didn't officially test positive should become eligible for LTIR anyway (and btw, if they are still on covid protocol beyond 2 weeks they are probably undisclosed cases of positive tests)
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

kyuss wroteCOLON
It is. The 1st week I had almost 20 M in Dallas' players I couldn't use (14-15M inevitably on the roster) and I couldn't even put them on IR.

That said, I think if it's the 3rd straight week you should be able to put them in retroactive LTIR.
Not sure CC explicitly covered this case, but seems consistent with the rest of the policy. The reason why only those who officially tested positive are eligible for LTIR is that they are the ones who can be expected to be out for an extended period of time compatible with our LTIR (3 weeks). If that period extends to 3 weeks, those who didn't officially test positive should become eligible for LTIR anyway (and btw, if they are still on covid protocol beyond 2 weeks they are probably undisclosed cases of positive tests)
So not black and white like the response I got when I voiced concerns about the subjectivity of the initial policies?
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Jordan (VGK) wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON

So not black and white like the response I got when I voiced concerns about the subjectivity of the initial policies?
Not even just not black and white but clearly in contrast to the written rule as it was very clear that only confirmed cases of COVID could be put on LTIR and as you posted the NHL is not disclosing this information which makes that rule irrelevant. It also kinda sucks that I need to wait for 3 weeks of IR before I can put them on LTIR by which time most of these players are probably coming back anyways.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

I'm saying 3rd straight week out for covid protocol should be treated like the case of a player who officially tested positive. It's basically the same situation. We'll see if CC will clarify that.
And I think I've actually seen a few cases of players that were known to have tested positive this season so far.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

kyuss wroteCOLONI'm saying 3rd straight week out for covid protocol should be treated like the case of a player who officially tested positive. It's basically the same situation. We'll see if CC will clarify that.
And I think I've actually seen a few cases of players that were known to have tested positive this season so far.
:lol:
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810

We are chatting about it again.

Remember, if you put a guy on LTIR, it obviously opens up cap and roster space, but then as soon as that player returns, you have to accommodate that cap in the following week and that player cannot be used for 3 weeks (i.e. moves to IR).

Overall, the issue with using LTIR, is it will benefit our deeper teams (Mik, Josh, etc.), which given this league wasn't started with all current GM's on an even playing field, in my opinion isn't fair.

The second thought is that, yes it sucks for you now, but overall with things like this, it should affect the entire league relatively equally over the course of the season. Also, changing the rules now will potentially benefit those with current issues and not be fair to teams who had issues in weeks 1-3.

... so we'll give you an update ASAP.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to