TV/Movies talk Part II

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Re: TV/Movies talk Part II

Post by Matthew »

Lee wroteCOLONSo, Game of Thrones has really gone to shit, eh?
Yeah. 7 years of build up and they ruin it with a rushed poorly written final season. Last season wasn't great but this one's garbage.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

Matthew wroteCOLONJesus, Letterkenny is the most hilarious show I've ever seen: The main character is like a cross between Clint Eastwood and French Stewart; The Canadian stereotypes (including hockey players) are spot on; and damn, amazing writing.

I wasn't expecting much going in - due to it being Canadian - but If this were an American show I'm sure it would be winning best comedy at their awards shows.

Highly recommend.
Yeah it's great. I haven't seen the most recent two seasons or so. But I've always enjoyed it.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Robin Hood »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Lee wroteCOLONSo, Game of Thrones has really gone to shit, eh?
Yeah. 7 years of build up and they ruin it with a rushed poorly written final season. Last season wasn't great but this one's garbage.
Yup
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

So those butt hurt about game of thrones. What did you want to happen. Everything that has happened isn’t really a surprise.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

bills09 wroteCOLONSo those butt hurt about game of thrones. What did you want to happen. Everything that has happened isn’t really a surprise.

It's how quickly it all happened coupled with shitty writing.

GOT Spoilers below:

I'll start with the most Glaring:

Again; GOT Spoilers below. Not my fault if you read past here:

Dany riding a dragon in the sky and not being able to see the Iron Fleet. Because, according to the writers, she "forgot" about them despite them specifically being mentioned not minutes before in the war council.
3 direct, in a row hits again a flying target from a stationary platform on a moving boat. And the next episode those same boats have imperial trooper levels of accuracy.
Why did Arya kill the Night King? There was 0 emotional attachment to the kill. It should have been Aegon vs NK.
How does Dany go from never swinging a proper sword in her life to be adept at defending herself against the wights?
Euron was terribly written once diverged from source material. Their story basically amounted to horny pirate and his alcoholic pregnant girlfriend.
They spent how long building up Jaime and his character arc, only to have him immediately, literally run back to Cersei once he got some strange.
ANd on that note, his ability to move as quickly as he can after being stabbed deeply multiple times with that dagger and shrug it off like it was nothing.
Cersei having a deep seated hatred for Tyrion all her life, ordering Bronn to kill him and Jaime on site and yet not killing him during their parlay outside of the massively "changed for scene" front gates of Kings Landing. Not firing the scorpions against a grounded dragon. not ending Dany when it was less than 100 unsullied, Aegon, Dany and Varys outside of the gates.
Varys goes from being one of the most secretive people in the realm to being a downright god damn idiot in open rebellion against Dany.
The writers in the first show after the battle of winterfell saying that it was the end of the dothraki, and the next episode their numbers jumping right up to "more than half"

I can keep going if you like. The moral of the story is that the show suffers from lazy writing by people who were offered the world to make Game of Thrones , given that HBO basically told them to make the show as it needs to be, regardless of the cost, instead they chose 2 shortened seasons and they are phoning it in to get in on that sweet sweet star wars money. As a fan of both franchises, I worry what that means.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

bills09 wroteCOLONSo those butt hurt about game of thrones. What did you want to happen. Everything that has happened isn’t really a surprise.
It wasn't necessarily what happened, it's how it all happened. The writing has fallen apart And large parts have been rushed. I remember the first moment I worried about the shows direction was when they started the first season after running out of source material. They had the dothraki being translated and essentially had the translations as gangstas from the hood.

But yes, some of what happened and what hasn't happened was shit, like Lee said.

Why build up the white walkers for 7 seasons only to have them beaten so easily. By an army that seemed to have no real plan. Even sam Tully was easily killing white walkers at the end...
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

The Dothrakis bothered me they send them all to their death against the WWs and then all of a sudden there's a bunch in King's Landing.
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Post by Loki »

Dany's heel turn in the last ep felt wrong. I get that they've been hinting at the mad Targaryens for seasons but nothing she'd done up until that point justified her burning a bunch of innocent people up. It goes against everything she stood for most of her life. Like she'd literally already won but decided to do it any way for no reason. It's a fine ending for her if she does go mad, it's probably what will happen in the books too, but it didn't feel earned, they needed to spend more time building to it, having her crack and then executing it better by having a better reason in the moment.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

am I the only one around here who never bothered watching this ‘game of thrones’ thing?
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Wow you are so cool Mik. Tell us more, please. Do you also hate birthday cake and balloons?
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

I don't pretend to be cool, but seeing the comments about how the whole saga ended makes me feel good about never getting into it.

As for why I never did, let's say I really struggle with 'suspension of disbelief' and whenever I perceive it is a required 'skill' to enjoy the show I tend to stay away.

Oh and yeah, I don't like birthdays tbh :lol:
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

The last few episodes sure have gone really fast. One day they are in the North, and the next they are at Kings Landing... was like - wow they are fast! They could have easily added in a few more episodes with some character building (like Dany going crazy). I'm not a huge GOT nerd, have not read the books, but you know when things are being rushed. Too bad the writers wanted out. Should have just canned them and brought in Michael Bay :lol: .
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

The villain they’ve been building up for 8 seasons gets killed by a bunch of falling bricks. Some really stellar writing right there lmao. To make it even worse, Jaime out of no where decides he’s going to just go die in her arms? Lolllllll. Then you’ve got Danny out of no where deciding to just burn everyone alive after they surrender the city? Ooooookkkkkkk. Jon’s dragon getting smoked by the iron fleet one episode and then the next Danny is out there dodging all the giant bolts? Ookkkl again lmao

As much as the 3rd episode of season 8 was fun to watch, more shit writing. Who the fuck sends all the cavalry out like that into the dark unknown at the start of a battle lmao? Then you’ve got bran deciding he’s going to go worg, or whatever you wanna call it, the entire episode. The fuck did he even do lol?

Also, the hounds fight with his brother the mountain? Weaaaaaaaak

Lee summed it up great

D & D completely mailed in season 8. It’s been trash for the most part lol
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Thank fuck GoT is over.

Anyone shocked by a shitty end to a shitty sesaon?

Oh well. Time to go ruin Star Wars
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by lightupdadarkness »

A lot less people died than I thought would of the main characters. After last week I was ready for a let down but the it was better than I thought given the low expectations but ending always seem to be disappointing.

Regardless overall amazing fucking serious

Last few episodes were let downs but I’d travel back to GoT world any day.

Here’s to Ayra gets her own spinoff
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

That Ghost reunion tho
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to