Mash
PostsCOLON 2135
JoinedCOLON Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 am
LocationCOLON Hamilton Ontario

Re: HUGE TRADE Sabres/Penguins

Post by Mash »

Great win for Topher
Kareem R
(9:31:36PM): watching them lose games like this in regulation is chicken soup for the soul bitch monkey
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Edler is a nice get for Shiv but Chris wins.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Robin Hood »

i know everyone here is saying topher wins, but here is my thinking on this trade: Brad Stuart does what Orpik does. At 23, Edler is only going to get better. And there are nowhere near the same amount of players like him at his price.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

IMO your all idiots, not that I ever thought otherwise to begin with...Big win for Shiv, got the best player in this deal by far. It's easy to acquire a strong defensive defenceman, but very difficult to acquire a two way stud in the mould of Alex Edler.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLONIMO your all idiots, not that I ever thought otherwise to begin with...Big win for Shiv, got the best player in this deal by far. It's easy to acquire a strong defensive defenceman, but very difficult to acquire a two way stud in the mould of Alex Edler.
All stats considered, Orpik and Edler are about even H2H (I personally give the edge to Orpik, but whatever). Thus everything else for Labarbera.

I don't care about age at this point. 5 years from now when Orpik is 35, maybe.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Robin Hood »

Snipeshow wroteCOLON All stats considered, Orpik and Edler are about even H2H (I personally give the edge to Orpik, but whatever). Thus everything else for Labarbera.

but its easier to acquire guys like matt greene/brad stuart/(insert 15 other names) who what orpik does vs a guy like edler. but our disagreement here points out why me and you were able to make the deal for backes. it was a very similar situation and most people thought you won. i look at it differently though. doesnt necessarily mean either one of us is wrong.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

There is a reason I still have two Sens on my team, Phillips and Volchenkov, because they are my two best players on my team H2H-wise, Girardi in there too I guess.. Defensive Dman are much better than 2-way dmen who contribute a bit of offence.

I know I am in the large minority on this though.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Snipeshow wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLONIMO your all idiots, not that I ever thought otherwise to begin with...Big win for Shiv, got the best player in this deal by far. It's easy to acquire a strong defensive defenceman, but very difficult to acquire a two way stud in the mould of Alex Edler.
All stats considered, Orpik and Edler are about even H2H (I personally give the edge to Orpik, but whatever). Thus everything else for Labarbera.

Orpik is 30, he's not getting any better, Edler is 23 there is only room for improvement...Anyone who builds a team around defensive defenceman is asking for trouble, they are complimentary pieces. The reasoning is simple, a defensive defenceman is only ever at the top of his game for a short period of time; Jay Mckee, Willie Mitchell, Scott Hannan, Francois Beauchemin, Robyn Regehr, Keith Carney, Eric Brewer, etc. The list goes on and one, all of these players were top defensive defenceman at one time or another, now they are after thoughts. The style of play employed by a top defensive defenceman is not one that can be sustained over long periods of time. The same thing goes with current defensive stud, Anton Volchenkov who is about to recieve a substantial raise on the open market.

Furthermore, as Shiv correctly pointed out, defensive defenceman are far easier to obtain than two way defenceman, not to mention a young up and comer like Alexander Edler who looks to be in the mould of Niklas Kronwall, minus the injuries. I take that over any defensive defenceman in the game, without a second thought. This is a keeper league Shep, not a one year win it all...
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

i like this for Chris.

This might be a first, an American takes down an Aborigial Canadian ;)
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Snipeshow wroteCOLON

Orpik is 30, he's not getting any better, Edler is 23 there is only room for improvement...Anyone who builds a team around defensive defenceman is asking for trouble, they are complimentary pieces. The reasoning is simple, a defensive defenceman is only ever at the top of his game for a short period of time; Jay Mckee, Willie Mitchell, Scott Hannan, Francois Beauchemin, Robyn Regehr, Keith Carney, Eric Brewer, etc. The list goes on and one, all of these players were top defensive defenceman at one time or another, now they are after thoughts. The style of play employed by a top defensive defenceman is not one that can be sustained over long periods of time. The same thing goes with current defensive stud, Anton Volchenkov who is about to recieve a substantial raise on the open market.

Furthermore, as Shiv correctly pointed out, defensive defenceman are far easier to obtain than two way defenceman, not to mention a young up and comer like Alexander Edler who looks to be in the mould of Niklas Kronwall, minus the injuries. I take that over any defensive defenceman in the game, without a second thought. This is a keeper league Shep, not a one year win it all...
With the amount of trades made in this league, you can treat it as a one year win it all every single year. That's for sure. Not that I do as I just traded my assets for picks.

Yes, defensive defenceman have shorter careers and peaks. But in this league, not the real NHL, defensive defenceman, even the older ones you mentioned, still produce at an elite, H2H defensive level. I know we have different views on this, fine by me. Age IMO has no real factor in this league. There will always be a taker. Always.

I don't care how you guys build your teams, makes no difference to me. I am happy with my 5th place overall last year only to lose to the eventual champion in the playoffs. I was fortunate enough to only have 2 or 3 key injuries throughout the year. My team last year was built around 5 defensive defenceman and Zidlicky. My offence came from up front.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Snipeshow wroteCOLONWith the amount of trades made in this league, you can treat it as a one year win it all every single year. That's for sure. Not that I do as I just traded my assets for picks.

Yes, defensive defenceman have shorter careers and peaks. But in this league, not the real NHL, defensive defenceman, even the older ones you mentioned, still produce at an elite, H2H defensive level. I know we have different views on this, fine by me. Age IMO has no real factor in this league. There will always be a taker. Always.

I don't care how you guys build your teams, makes no difference to me. I am happy with my 5th place overall last year only to lose to the eventual champion in the playoffs. I was fortunate enough to only have 2 or 3 key injuries throughout the year. My team last year was built around 5 defensive defenceman and Zidlicky. My offence came from up front.

Last years system was also built for defensive minded players. The addition of total points will have a profound impact on the current value system for defensive defenceman, IMO.
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Last years system was also built for defensive minded players. The addition of total points will have a profound impact on the current value system for defensive defenceman, IMO.
have we come to an agreement of next years total stats?
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

sgupca wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Yep
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Snipeshow wroteCOLONWith the amount of trades made in this league, you can treat it as a one year win it all every single year. That's for sure. Not that I do as I just traded my assets for picks.

That's just one stat. But yes, their value slightly diminishes.

Was the only change Add points, Subtract saves?
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
sgupca wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Yep
can u post them buddy? or post think link in here so i can find it

cheers
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

its been posted a couple of times **.....

i dunno where it is though...
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to