Draft Discussion

Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Re: 2021 Expansion Draft

Post by Bruyns »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Bruyns wroteCOLONFraser only has Vasi for example, I don’t think he can just not expose a goalie. He’d need to get a goalie on an NHL contract or an RFA to expose would be my thinking.
He could expose silovs?
Ya if we allow exempt goalies to be exposed. I'm in a similar situation, I have Gibson and Lankinen, if I choose to move Lankinen I'd only have an exempt Payton Jones under contract to expose.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I smell a topic for the CC...
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI smell a topic for the CC...
Ya, this should definetly be figured out.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI smell a topic for the CC...
Ya we should sort this out.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

If it wasn't a rule in the last draft, it might be a short chat.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONIf it wasn't a rule in the last draft, it might be a short chat.
Every team should have to meet the same criterias. Goalies are a part of the league and I need to select some. Goalies are easier to have exposed than any other position. You don't need GP. They just need to be under contract or an RFA. Could be some AHL back up, as long as he is under contract or an RFA. I find it weird that some teams won't need to expose while others need to.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

I'm going through old expansion threads, and cc threads for the Vegas draft. Will update on findings.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I can tell you for a fact, we allowed Vegas to draft a maximum of 3 goalies in their draft to prevent "hoarding".

The position limits for Vegas:

Forwards: Minimum of 14 / Maximum of 19
Defensemen: Minimum of 8 / Maximum of 13
Goalies: Maximum of 3

It's also worth noting that Vegas didn't have to be salary cap compliant with their initial picks. They're in the same situation as all of us are during the offseason. You don't have to have a compliant lineup and roster until roster submission in the fall.

I'm going to say with certainty that there's no actual rule "in writing" saying a team has to have a goalie available in the draft. I took a spin through the 2017 draft and all the teams had at least one goalie available and I can't tell if that's by design or just a coincidence.

The value of goaltending has changed over the years in our league. You can reasonably get by with one viable goalie (Vasilevskiy for Fraser) or in some cases, you play out the season with two goalies where neither guy is an actual #1 goalie on their own team. You just need to reach minimum number of starts. Matthew is winning the goaltending categories right now with the 3rd goalie in the Boston and a 1A/1B goalie from Minnesota.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

DApolloS wroteCOLONI've seen 2 teams so far that have only 1 goalie eligible for the draft. Unless I'm missing something they would be required to either acquire another goalie to expose or expose their only goalie, but you guys can figure that out, 9therwise, teams could collude to send multiple goalies to a team so I have less goalies available to me in the draft.

Winnipeg is a team I figured would fall into this category. He's got the Columbus tandem of Korpisalo and Merzlikins. Merzlikins is exempt from the draft because he's only a 2-year pro. He didn't come over to North American until last season.

For the NHL Blue Jackets, they've got Korpisalo, Kivlenieks and Cam Johnson as their eligible goalies. Luke doesn't carry the entire Columbus system...he has the top 2 guys and fortunate for him, one of the goalies is exempt from the draft.

I guess are we trying to figure out if someone like Luke should have to acquire a veteran goalie just to expose in the expansion draft even if it's a goalie Seattle will have no interest in selecting when they can only pick a maximum of 3?
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

You are requiring team's to have a certain amount of players exposed at each position first and then you cna protect, not the other way around. Looking through lists, I see some people have some tough choices to make as they have all of their GP eligible players protected and they aren't meeting the criteria of what needs to be exposed. They will have to choose who to expose, even though they don't want to. Same goes with team's with only 1 goalie. In theory, those teams would need to satisfy the exposure criteria before they can fill their protection list
9nly have 1 goalie? Either make him available for the draft, or acquire someone else to satisfy the exposure.
Fraser
PostsCOLON 3681
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am
LocationCOLON Perth, Western Australia

Post by Fraser »

DApolloS wroteCOLONI've seen 2 teams so far that have only 1 goalie eligible for the draft. Unless I'm missing something they would be required to either acquire another goalie to expose or expose their only goalie, but you guys can figure that out, 9therwise, teams could collude to send multiple goalies to a team so I have less goalies available to me in the draft.
Don't see a way you have less goalies available by multiple goalies being on a single team. Teams can only protect 1 so the exposed goalies don't change overall. Hell If someone is hoarding goalies it likely means a better goalie that goes unprotected available for you.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Lord help us. This is literally copy and paste from last expansion.
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Post by Loki »

I think the green tickbox (requires protection?) part of my sheet has broken, it's now ticking everyone, even those without contracts or those who haven't played enough games
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Now that the regular season is complete, I will go through and make an update to GP and this will finalize the 27/54 GP status for your skaters.

What I'd like also like to do is give you guys a list of which players are waiver exempt out of the players that are eligible for the draft.

I'm already starting to set up information for next season and that begins with waiver status. I'll try to have that list posted this weekend. It might not matter to some but I figure it would help in the decision-making process with some of you.
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONNow that the regular season is complete, I will go through and make an update to GP and this will finalize the 27/54 GP status for your skaters.

What I'd like also like to do is give you guys a list of which players are waiver exempt out of the players that are eligible for the draft.

I'm already starting to set up information for next season and that begins with waiver status. I'll try to have that list posted this weekend. It might not matter to some but I figure it would help in the decision-making process with some of you.

Awesome stuff Scott, thanks for all the hard work.
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

For what it's worth I made it a point to acquire Kinkaid this year so I could expose him and not Ullmark (as I was attempting to move Talbot and not realizing that Berdin would be exposed). I dont think we should be helping people because they didnt have the foresight to plan ahead for the expansion. We all knew this was coming a WHILE ago and we all knew what the expansion rules were a WHILE ago. Some of us planned for it and some of us didnt. Your own fault if you didnt do anything.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I think you can acquire an AHL/3rd goalie just to use for the draft for cheap. Tokarski got moved for a 7th at the deadline.

At worst, Vancouver and Winnipeg will have to acquire an draft-eligible goalie to fulfill the minimum requirement. The vote is ongoing with the CC right now. We'll announce that when it's final.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONWhat I'd like also like to do is give you guys a list of which players are waiver exempt out of the players that are eligible for the draft.

The list is in the second post of this thread. I have the players grouped by BBKL team. Do with that information as you'd like.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Re: Draft Discussion

Post by bills09 »

If they are a ufa we can’t expose them? That’s crazy we have no control of their signing.
Example Laurent Brossoit is a fine back up and will sign but I have to acquire a goalie to expose who has a contract?
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Draft Discussion

Post by kyuss »

bills09 wroteCOLONIf they are a ufa we can’t expose them? That’s crazy we have no control of their signing.
Example Laurent Brossoit is a fine back up and will sign but I have to acquire a goalie to expose who has a contract?
no, we can expose UFA Gs (unless they're retiring)
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to